This time, the cause of concern is salmonella contamination. Salmonella is a zoonotic infection, meaning it can be transferred to humans too.
Salmonella infection in dogs causes gastroenteritis, septicemia, and spontaneous abortions. Humans usually experience vomiting, diarrhea and fevers. It’s not pleasant.
The best prevention is to wash surfaces in the kitchen after feeding your dog and to ensure you wash your hands after handling pet foods.
The brands currently under recall are:
Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc.
- Solid Gold WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food
- Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Dog Food
- Wellness Complete Health Super5mix Large Breed Puppy
Canidae Pet Foods
- Canidae Dog, All Life Stages
- Canidae Dog, Chicken Meal & Rice
- Canidae Dog, Lamb Meal & Rice
- Canidae Dog, Platinum
Apex Pet Foods
- Apex Chicken and Rice Dog, 20lb and 40lb bags
Natural Balance Pet Foods
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog
- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog
- Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites
- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
- Country Value
- Diamond Naturals
- Premium Edge
- Taste of the Wild
The Kirkland Signature products included in the recall are:
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
It’s hard to know if some of these foods are available in New Zealand (Canidae definitely is) because some foods are imported in smaller quantities. If you are feeding one of these foods, stop immediately and check with your supplier for more details on the recall.