“Dogs are my favorite role models. I want to work like a dog, doing what I was born to do with joy and purpose. I want to play like a dog, with total, jolly abandon. I want to love like a dog, with unabashed devotion and complete lack of concern about what people do for a living, how much money they have, or how much they weigh. The fact that we still live with dogs, even when we don’t have to herd or hunt our dinner, gives me hope for humans and canines alike.”
– Oprah Winfrey, actress, writer, talk show host, philanthropist
“There’s nothing like a wagging tail to make you feel better”
– Dr. J. Michael McFarland, DVM, DABVP, Group Director of US Companion Animal Marketing at Zoetis
“I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren’t certain we knew better.”
– George Bird Evans, dog breeder (Old Hemlock line of English Setters ), author, artist (28 December 1906 – 5 May 1998)
“A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than an owner can express with his tongue in hours.”
– Karen Davison, trainer and author
“He’s a hard dog to keep on the porch”
– Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, on her husband Bill
“What do dogs do on their day off? Can’t lie around – that’s their job!”
-George Carlin, comedian
Sid the Greyhound, photo by John Visser
‘The dog is man’s best friend.
He has a tail on one end.
Up in front he has teeth.
And four legs underneath.’
– Ogden Nash, American poet