Today, 30 August 2012, is National Holistic Pet Day.
This is the day to celebrate all of the ways we can care for the ‘whole’ dog – their physiological health and their mental health.
As a canine massage therapist, I’m naturally a supporter of holistic approaches because I help treat dogs with acupressure, laser and massage therapies. I also help dogs with rehabilitation programmes, even measuring dogs for mobility carts when necessary. I also like to use bach flower remedies.
Here are a few ways to celebrate National Holistic Pet Day:
- Treat your dog to a massage
- Take your dog to the local hydrotherapy pool for a fun swim
- Walk your dog in the fresh air and enjoy each other’s company
- Take advice on feeding biologically appropriate dog food to your dog
- Brush your dog’s teeth (and keep it up!)
- Take your dog to a homeopathic or holistic vet for a check up
- Look in your cleaning cupboard and throw away all of those chemical cleaning products – buy natural based products as replacement or even learn to make your own cleaners using natural products like vinegar and baking soda
Whatever you do – enjoy National Holistic Pet Day together. The best thing you can give your dog is your time.
Kathleen Crisley, Fear-Free certified professional and specialist in dog massage, rehabilitation and nutrition/food therapy, The Balanced Dog, Christchurch, New Zealand