For Dame Lynley Dodd, a sketch of a dog on note paper started it all – 40 years ago.
Harry Maclary From Donaldson’s Dairy was first published in 1983. The book features Harry, a mixed breed dog who looks a lot like a Skye or Scottish Terrier (Dodd has said that he is a terrier mix) alongside his canine friends:
- Hercules Morse, As Big as a Horse, a Mastiff
- Bottomley Potts, All Covered in Spots, a Dalmatian
- Muffin McLay, Like a Bundle of Hay, an Old English Sheepdog
- Bitzer Maloney, All Skinny and Boney, a mixed breed dog that is clearly part Greyhound
- Schnitzel Von Krumm, With a Very Low Tum, a Dachshund
Every Kiwi child knows this story! (with a further 19 books that followed the first).
NZ Post will release a series of commemorative stamps on 1st March to celebrate the 40th anniversary of this now classic children’s book. Can you guess which character is Sox’s favourite?
Kathleen Crisley, Fear-Free certified professional and specialist in dog massage, rehabilitation and nutrition/food therapy, The Balanced Dog, Christchurch, New Zealand