Leisa McNaughton and her dog Indy, a Border Collie/Bernese Mountain Dog cross, will commence a 4-month journey on 1st October 2015 to travel the length of New Zealand.
Their journey will begin in Cape Reinga and travel using tracks that are part of Nga Haerenga The New Zealand Cycle Trail and connector routes.
On her Facebook page, Leisa says, “My aim is to encourage others to join me in the sights and sounds of our wonderful country while cycling the length of NZ and fundraising for my 13 chosen charities.” These charities , all regional, will include:
- Sport Northland Whangarei
- Auckland Rescue Helicopter Auckland
- Cambridge Riding for the Disabled Cambridge
- Cranford Hospice Hastings
- The Capital Performing Arts Wellington
- Marlborough Falcon Conservation Trust Blenheim
- Menzshed Waimea
- The Tasman Environmental Trust Richmond, Nelson
- Westcoast Coastguard Greymouth
- Canterbury SPCA Christchurch
- Otago Medical Research Foundation Dunedin
- Number 10 Invercargill
Leisa says she and Indy “chose each other” at the SPCA about six years ago. She attributes her recovery from severe depression and burnout to, in part, Indy’s non-judgmental support and companionship.
Indy will ride in a specially designed trailer during the pair’s journey together.
You can follow Leisa and Indy on their Facebook page.
Kathleen Crisley, specialist in dog massage, rehabilitation and nutrition/food therapy, Canine Catering Ltd, Christchurch, New Zealand