I enjoy reading and sharing information about research involving dogs and their cognitive abilities.
Business Insider Malaysia has published a good synopsis of research in the area with references to the relevant studies.
The 9 special abilities are:
- Dogs feel empathy
- Dogs make eye contact
- With eye contact, they form a special bond with humans
- Dogs see humans as part of their family
- And they interact with us as if they were children
- Dogs understand gestures, like pointing
- Dogs brains react to human voices
- Some dogs can learn new words the way children do
- And some dogs have the ability to generalize
Kathleen Crisley, specialist in dog massage, rehabilitation and nutrition/food therapy, The Balanced Dog, Christchurch, New Zealand
I am amazed how much Fred understand. She especially makes eye contact when she wants to sort out a situation.