Tag Archives: choking

Darla’s story – what every owner needs to understand about dog toys

This video comes via the Center for Pet Safety, a registered 501(c)3 research and advocacy organization dedicated to companion animal and consumer safety.

Darla was the victim of a poorly designed dog toy purchased at Walmart by her unsuspecting owner.  Darla ingested nylon fabric that wrapped around her tongue and proceeded into her digestive tract causing peritonitis.  She fought for her life for over 3 days before losing her battle.

You can read Darla’s story by clicking on this link.

Dog owners must understand that dog toys are not subject to recalls and the burden of proof and legal remedies rest with the dog owner in cases like these.

I’m sharing this story to spread the word about this dog toy and to remind everyone to be careful in their selection of toys.  Toys sold at discount retailers are particularly suspect, such as those in New Zealand that are imported from China and are not well made and use paints and dyes that clearly rub off when being chewed.

Read Darla’s  story and then give your dog a hug – and promise to keep them safe from deadly toys.